“Birth tourism” for Monégasque passport does not work in the Principality of Monaco. Automatic Monégasque nationality does not even apply for children born from parents who are resident in the Principality of Monaco.
All births taking place within Monaco’s territorial boundaries must be notified to City Hall within four days of the mother giving birth. Birth certificates apply to anyone born in Monaco and Monégasques born abroad. However, it is very important to know that unlike in many countries, giving birth to a child in the territory of the Principality of Monaco does not mean that the child automatically receives the Monégasque nationality.
Based on law, the following persons can apply for Monégasque nationality:
- any person born in Monaco or abroad to a Monégasque father;
- any person born in Monaco or abroad to a mother born Monégasque who still had this nationality at the time of the birth;
- any person born in Monaco or abroad to a mother who is Monégasque and has a Monégasque ancestor;
- any person whose mother has acquired Monégasque nationality through naturalisation, reinstatement or declaration by choice in accordance with law no. 974 of 8 July 1975;
- any person whose mother has acquired Monégasque nationality by declaration following a simple adoption, and has acquired full Monégasque nationality from the date of birth;
- any person born in Monaco of unknown parents.