Citizenship: Acquisition by naturalization
The person who wishes to acquire the Monégasque nationality must prove:
- That taking the Monégasque nationality will cause him to lose his previous nationality;
- That naturalization will definitely relieve him of the obligation to perform military service abroad;
- That he has resided ten years in the Principality after reaching the age of twenty one; this residence must be unbroken and in effect at the moment the request for naturalization is made and not be mere residence at an earlier period.
The following are exempt from fulfilling the condition of requiring ten years residence:
- A foreigner whom the Prince judges worthy of this favor;
- A woman married to a foreigner, whose husband request naturalization or who has already obtained it;
- Children, who are still minors, of a naturalized foreigner, provided that they reside in Monaco at the moment of their request.
The request must be addressed, on stamped paper, directly to the Prince.
Monégasque nationality is granted automatically to children who are minors of a father or a mother surviving her husband (in the event of the death of the latter) who obtains naturalization.
These children have, however, the opportunity to renounce their nationality by making a declaration before the registrar in the year which follows the date on which they reach their majority.
In all other cases naturalization is granted by sovereign ordinance. Decisions rejecting or deferring the request are not subject to appeal; the request may always be rejected, even if the person making the request satisfies the conditions laid down, as these merely confer the right to make the request for naturalization.
This also means that even if you had ten years of residency with all the requested wealth to live in the Principality of Monaco, your naturalisation could be refused. You can be entitled for long-term residency, but to successfully acquire a Monégasque passport, you have to prove that you are a valuable member of the society. What you personally bring to Monaco is always considered a major decision factor.
Unlock Members only contents
Our membership offers you access to the member’s only content of the Living in Monaco website. The membership gives you immediate access, and you can cancel your subscription at any time.
Already a member with a valid subscription?
Monaco residence permit
With 10 years of local experience, we offer unparalleled guidance for new residents in the Principality of Monaco.
We can help you and your family to settle, to find a school, to register your car, and to feel at home in Monaco from the very first day.
Bank account opening
Through our trusted and Government authorised Monaco bank we are able to offer exceptional banking services. It is a unique opportunity to open private, corporate and trust accounts, both for Monaco residents and non-Monaco residents.
We can help you to establish your business in the Principality of Monaco in the most efficient way. We can help you to identify the right corporate structure, to find the desired office space, and to implement your branding and revenue strategy to the local business scenery.
Marketing & Brand awareness
Thanks to our exclusive partners, including the branding and marketing strategists, we can offer you online, printed and luxury television campaigns, reaching our every household and hotels in Monaco.